Monday, June 15, 2009

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

If I am going to be honest, and I usually am, there have been many times over the past 14 years that I have WANTED my husband to pack his things and walk out the door. Obviously, we have managed to get over whatever the issue was at the time and have stuck it out. Well, today he did pack his things and walk out the door and I didn't like it one bit. He is going to pour concrete in Tacoma, WA, and won't be back until July 1st. We have prayed for work and prayed for work. We have applied for job after job from craigslist (I'm not sure that they all aren't fake anyway). We have even applied for jobs overseas. We have said if someone's pouring concrete anywhere, he will go. So now we have to put our money where our mouth is. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. He would just pack his bag, head off to work, and life would go on. You have to do what you have to do. Marina cried last night when telling Rob good night, I cried this morning as I put his toothbrush in his bag. We'll be fine of course. It's only 15 days and it's only pouring concrete, but in 14 years, we have only been apart for a couple days max. He went on a hunting trip once for about 5 days and he went to help is grandmother once for about 4 days. And at least I had time to think about those trips. This opportunity came up Saturday and he left this morning! I am NOT a spontaneous person! Further, those were trips to uninteresting places doing uninteresting things. The kids and I want to go to Washington!! Anyway, he promises to send photos back throughout the trip, so we can all live through him. And I made him promise to be miserable and endlessly pine for home...

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Ahhh, Margaret. You will be fine. 15 days is nothing. Trust me. It will come and go before you know it.
And yes, Washington is the best state EVER and you would truly love it there. I miss it something fierce. I would love to have orders there again. The kids are wishing we move back there. We have even considered retiring there.
Enjoy the time apart. You will see him in a whole new way when he comes home.
SMILES!