Friday, August 29, 2008

The Wild Kingdom

What follows are 9 photos of spiders - and not very good photos at that b/c I was so creeped out that I was in a hurry. These are 9 different spiders, but all of the same species. They are those garden spiders that make huge orb webs with the white stuff in the middle.
This first one is hanging in front of our window.
This is a little tiny baby one.
This one was bouncing on her web and when I stopped to watch and take a picture, she ran down the web and took off. I don't know what the deal was...
Oh, man, am I creeped out just looking at them. I looked them up online and everything says that it is no big deal to have a congregation of them. It is because we didn't weed eat next to the house the last time we mowed. Also our garden hose slowly leaks, but enough that there are probably more insects there than anywhere else. But still... I told Rob not to knock down the webs b/c at least I know where these dudes are when they are on their webs. And I am trying to keep an open mind... Anyway, they'll be dead soon enough. By the way, here is your garden spider trivia for the day. These are females. The males cruise around looking for female webs and tap on the web letting the female know they are coming up so that the female doesn't just instinctively charge them and kill them. Then they come up, do their business, and stumble off the web and die. When they are looking for a girl's crib, they don't eat or drink. So after the deed is done, they die. Crazy...

1 comment:

Delaney Mae said...

We had these ladies the last two summers. At first I was completely terrified and then eventually came to be fascinated. We named them "Spiderella" and would look for them in the mornings when we went out to water the garden.

No garden for us this year, and no sign of Spiderella. I know they look creepy, but they really are good for your yard...